It’s sooooooo hot. I know that everyone else in the country thinks that us Californians are total babies when it comes to extreme temperatures. Yes, 95 degrees is extreme for me. My comfort zone sits right in between 73-77. And fortunately, California is right in there a lot of the time. While we are probably a little sensitive (ok, maybe a lot sensitive), I just don’t care. It was 90 degrees today and our house felt like a sauna. Our poor littlest dude and I were a sweaty mess all day since I had to hold him while we were out and about. And blech. It was just so uncomfortable.
So on days like today, I need something like this! I made this shake one day when the hubs was working. It had been a long day and the kids and I like to make concoctions in the kitchen when bedtime is seeming to elude me. We concocted this and wow. My kids seriously didn’t breathe for nearly 30 seconds while they drank. Zoe kept saying, “wow, it’s a milkshake!” And yes, my friends, it is. My concoctions are usually pretty decent, but this. This was epic. I made it for my mom one day and she said it tasted like a Wendy’s frosty.
So here you go. Go make this and it will make life so much better. Seriously.
Here are the recommendations for the ingredients I use. You can get all of these at Whole Foods or any health food store.
Cashew butter – I usually get this at the store when it’s on sale
- 1 Cup coconut milk (use full fat people!)
- 2 Medjool dates
- 2 Heaping tablespoons organic cocoa powder (we have also tried carob and it is very yummy!)
- 2 Tablespoons cashew butter (you can sub almond or peanut butter but cashew gives it a creamy flavor)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 Cups ice
- Add everything to the blender except the ice.
- Put one cup of the ice in.
- If the texture is still a bit runny, add the rest of the ice.
- Drink slowly if you can.
- You can also use a mix of whole raw milk and/or raw cream if you don't like coconut milk. Either way is really yummy!
- I do not shake the coconut milk so I get the cream off of the top when I pour it in.