I’ve been watching for quite some time as friend after friend is posting about these easy overnight oats! We can’t do a lot of oats, but we can do some. And when we soak them, it’s even better!
Why would we soak our oats, you ask?
I’m so glad you asked! By soaking the grains in an acidic medium (lemon juice, buttermilk, liquid whey, yogurt, or apple cider vinegar) you break down the anti-nutrients in the oats and the minerals are released making the oats digestible. I’ve chosen to make my own “buttermilk” for this recipe, and although there was a VERY slight tang, the sweeteners offset any sour flavor!
There are SO many options when it comes to flavoring, and here are a few that I can think of!
Berry Explosion – additions of berries, yogurt (we love goat milk yogurt), coconut, and cinnamon
Fall Spice – 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, cinnamon, clove, pecans, and a dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (we like cashew!)
- 2 tablespoons shredded dried coconut
- 0-2 tablespoons organic grade B maple syrup (you choose depending on sweetness needed)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Water to cover oats about 1 inch above all ingredients
- Half of a banana sliced or mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Either mix everything in a bowl and put in a pint sized mason jar
- Put everything in the mason jar and shake with the lid on until well mixed
- Leave on the counter overnight to eat in the morning
- Add ons could include raisins, pecans, or additional spices