I wish that my pictures did more justice to this lasagna. Sometimes I have recipes pop into my head, and I just know they’re going to be amazing! It’s pretty fun when that actually turns out to be true! If you can make the butternut squash cream and chicken ahead of time, this would be an incredibly easy meal to throw together. If not, you’re looking at a decent chunk of time putting this together. But my kids and I had a lot of fun making this, and I had several people try it at my nephew’s birthday party with a great response! This is one that I’ll be making in triple batches and freezing for easy pop in the oven dinners.
I used raw goat cheddar on the top, but you could definitely use a good raw cheddar cheese if your family can do dairy! Let’s just say that I might just make myself this one day full of cheddar cheese so I can enjoy the cheddar-y goodness!
I use THESE brown rice lasagna noodles, and the rest you should be able to get at your local grocery store! If you still don’t have an Instant Pot, then make sure to grab one HERE. I have used this tool more in the last 3 months only second to my blender! It’s beyond fantastic, and I’ve never been more grateful as a Mom to have this in my house.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Two little tips are to make sure the chicken and butternut squash puree have enough flavor and add salt if needed. No one wants a bland lasagna!!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth
- Butternut Squash Filling
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3-4 cups chicken broth (homemade is best!)
- 2 tablespoons organic cold pressed olive oil
- Lasagna Noodles
- Jovial brown rice lasagna noodles
- Raw cheddar or raw goat cheddar - 3 cups
- Get the chicken going in the Instant Pot
- Place all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and use the manual setting on high for 25 minutes
- If using cheese, grate the cheese and set aside
- While that is cooking, prepare the butternut squash filling
- Prep the butternut squash by using a vegetable peeler to skin the squash
- Then cut it in half, remove the seeds, and chop into large 1-2 inch cubes
- Chop the onion into smaller slices and saute with 2 tablespoons olive oil until starting to brown
- While the onions are cooking, chop the garlic into small pieces and add for 1-2 minutes until fragrant
- Add in the butternut squash and salt
- Barely cover the squash with chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Once the broth is boiling, bring down to a simmer and let sit until the butternut squash is fork tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Once the squash is cooked through, place the butternut squash mixture into a high speed blender in small batches and blend until smooth - you want a very thick soup texture
- Bring a pot of water to boil and let the lasagna noodles cook for 4-5 minutes until barely soft, then remove onto paper towels or a dish towel
- Open up Instant Pot and break apart chicken with two forks
- Get an 8x8 pyrex or glass dish and layer butternut squash puree on the bottom and follow with layers of lasagna, shredded chicken, butternut squash puree and then cheese. This should be enough for two layers with extras of the butternut squash puree.
- Finish with a final layer of cheese and then cover with aluminum foil
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and then uncover and bake at 375 for 5 more minutes
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving
- **This lasagna freezes well.
- **There should be about a quart of butternut squash puree leftover that is great for soup!